26horses Forum
  • Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1444 posts
  • Reputation 239
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Captain of the boat or captain of the Sea?
Feb 18 2014 2:44 am

Oh yah I remember the alantis asgard saying that now

What ever you can do or dream you can always begin it because boldness has genius, power and magic in it
  • Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1444 posts
  • Reputation 239
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Captain of the boat or captain of the Sea?
Feb 18 2014 2:48 am

We could call them asgard and say they are in the milky way with limited resources. Around this time frame

What ever you can do or dream you can always begin it because boldness has genius, power and magic in it
  • Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • O'Neill: For this, you can stay at my place.
Feb 18 2014 2:48 am

Of course can have Asgard Vs. Goa'uld! The Asgard were in the Milky Way galaxy for thousands of years protecting human civilizations. As long as keep things in actuallity to the lore than its not gunna piss people off. But they dont need to have their ships being OP compared to everyone else, thats more a game balancing issue than renaming one of the most awesome races in the franchise. So, yes, they can be called Asgard and have the same race bonus's you have hinted at and not have to be OP. Yes the actual asgard would kick the crap out of the Goa'uld if they wanted but doesnt mean you have to actually make them that powerful in game to keep game balanced. Just having the Asgard in the game make me excited, I mean, Ive wanted to play them all along, but calling them something other than who they are just ruins it. I personally refuse to call them midgard in chat ever, I always call them asgard, because its their name.

O'Neill: So help me, if I wake up and I'm singing soprano...
  • Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 18 2014 2:50 am

That works, the story is the Asgard just came to this galaxy with limited resources and have to set up settlements to help protect the human worlds from the threat of the Goa'uld. It works.

• Zirnitra
  • Irregular
  • 151 posts
  • Reputation 51
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Black Dragon of Death
Feb 18 2014 3:32 am

Lets get this straight and finish the discussion.

Asgard where not called the asgard in the beginning. They are 2 pantheon of gods.

Aesir and Vanir. These two factions went to war. After the war they united as Asgard. The "asgard" in the Pegasus galaxy was not Aesir. They are the Vanir.

Loki was a Vanir but posed as the Aesir.

The goauld and aesir went to war, with the aesir being more tech advance. However, the goauld started to use Furling tech, in which the Furlings where the most advanced race in the Milky way. (Part of the Furlings fled to the Andromeda Galaxy but that is another story)

The Aesir where fighting the goauld but also the Vanir.

Ra united the goauld, and started to attack the aesir and started to get the upper hand. Then Anubis decided to challenge Ra for power, as he knew Ra was engaged with the aesir. Ra was annoyed, however the stroke of luck was the the aesir and the goauld came to a Protected Planets treaty which saved face for them both.
The Aesir and Vanir finally end war and unite. A few of the Vanir where pissed and decided to travel to another realm (Pegasus galaxy)

The asgard did not press to attack the goauld which Thor in the SG series said was a mistake

So the term Midgard.

In Norse myth there are 9 Realms.- fact which centre around a cosmological tree, Yggdrasil. (This was the essence that the alterans were looking for) see SGU

The Asgard inhabit the heavenly realm of Asgard (IDA GALAXY)whereas humanity inhabits Midgard (MILKY WAY)

Outside of the Ida and Milky way other galaxies are inhabited by a variety beings, such as elves(NOX) and dwarfs/giants etc.

Travel between the worlds is frequently recounted in the myths, where the gods and other beings may interact directly with humanity (Stargates)

So, a great plague ravaged the Ida Galaxy therefore, the aesir left to travel to other galaxies (at the time they may not have had the tech or power source to gate to different galaxies).

Part of the asgard set off to otehr galaxies in suspended animation to ensure if they could not stop the plague they would survive. One bunch landed in Midgard (Milky Way) and in trying to honour their safety named themselves Midgard.

Alas why the Midgard do not look like the asgard we know and they wear battle suits (like the Vanir is Pagasus galaxy).

Everyone knows the asgard as in the SG series and apply that reasoning to the game. However, balance has to be addressed and players do not get into there head if they are playing asgard that they are not technologically super advanced over the goauld like in SG series.

The goauld gave the aesir a good beating and commited genocide against the Furlings.

• Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 18 2014 3:40 am

We arent talking about the actual Nores God Mythology here, thats completely different that whats in Stargate!

• Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 18 2014 3:41 am

So, trying to argue for or against with that mythology is completely and utterly off topic!

• Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 18 2014 3:45 am

Ok, now that I read that further most of that seems made up, there was never any talk about the Asgard being anything other than Asgard or called anything different, there were factions of the Asgard people that had differing views from the Asgard high council and the main Asgards beliefs but none of them change the fact that their race's name was and has been the Asgard!

• Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 18 2014 3:47 am

Aesir and Vanir arent race names revolivng around Asgard so your point id mute, you even state it yourself. Aesir and Vanir were two rivialing factions among the Asgard people, which has no relevance to the fact of them being called something other than Asgard, as their actual races name has always been the Asgard.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Vanir

Still shows their race as the Asgard!

• Nixton
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Feb 18 2014 4:13 am

Asgard is the race, much like humans is a race, but there are different types of nations and tribes amd religions on earth amongst humans, but we're still the same race, but we call each other different things depending on were we are from.

Asgard and vanir are both right, they are both asgard, but saying that one is vanir, is like saying that he is from russia, but he is still human.

So Midgard could easily be from england, still same race, but different location,origin and style of their civilization compared to let say, african nations or russia etc.

There is nothing wrong haveing the asgard race in the game called Midgards, as far as i remember when i talked this over with shadowing is that they we're apart of the "group" that is the asgard but got lost during their travels a long time ago, their for they never followed the asgards to earth, hence they dont know that asgard call earth midgard, which solves the hole problem, and since this is several hundreds of years before canon, and we cant keep everything canon, since we gotta adjust and make what we can the best experience there is for you guys.

• Ziegenbagel
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 18 2014 4:28 am

Nixton, everything is wrong with calling them Midgard considering no faction or anything related to the Asgard were ever called Midgard. Midgard is just the name the Asgard gave to the planet Earth. Thats all.

• Nixton
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Feb 18 2014 4:37 am

"and since this is several hundreds of years before canon, and we cant keep everything canon, since we gotta adjust and make what we can the best experience there is for you guys."

It works very well to have them named midgards if you read my post again.

Thats atleast my point of view and my thoughts. :)

<< Previous 1 [2] 3 Next >>