• Neimenljivi
  • Irregular
  • 146 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Jul 05 2012 12:21 pm

Ok so in series there were some sort of meetings to discuss treaties between system lords. The planets (or systems) that those meetings took place were protected for a few days - no one could attack those planets for as long as the meetings took place and no one from those meetings could attack others.<br /><br />So how about implanting such a possibility in the game so you can go away for a day or two without going to vac mode and thus not be in a disadvantage against others who have more time than you, but while you&#039;d still gain all the stuff you&#039;re gaining per turn, you couldn&#039;t attack anyone. Perhaps this protection would only apply to the planets you have in the galaxy sector you choose the protection? So not all of your planets are protected, but some are (if you have more of them in 1 sector)?<br /><br />~N

• Semper
  • Respected
  • 615 posts
  • Reputation 6
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
Jul 05 2012 1:32 pm

TBH.. you can already do this. You&#039;ve just got to do it the real way and actually talk to the other System Lords and make an agreement. <br /><br />No offence Neim but to this I would simply say you can&#039;t have your cake and eat it, absentee System Lords either have to make everyone scared to hell of attacking them, win them over with a smile or expect to bleed. <br /><br />I&#039;m a huge fan of being able to shove on a 48 hours protection and toddle off for a few days but I always found that an issue with that other game....

• Neimenljivi
  • Irregular
  • 146 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Jul 05 2012 6:17 pm

This is a game after all, most of us can&#039;t afford to be online 24/7 so some protection has to be made.<br />To talk with other people? Yeah good luck trying to persuade a few thousand people not to attack you for a while and you won&#039;t attack them, if you don&#039;t have the time to actually be there for a day or two, when the game reaches that many players. Heck it&#039;d be almost impossible with even 50 players.<br /><br />~N

• Druskov
  • Irregular
  • 84 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Mwahaha Mwahahaha- *cough cough* heh hairball...
Jul 05 2012 7:06 pm

Warning wall of text.<br /><br />When the actual game does get released we will be so spread out we will have a while to be safe but if you cant handle losing stuff while your offline, while doing other things, this game might not be for you!<br /><br /> :P don&#039;t take this the wrong way but in a way its not like you lose everything you keep exp and tech so Im fine if I die.. It might suck but I at least accept it will happen. I have gotten used to this concept from eve online - it is always persistent - example in the game you can own a pos(player owned station) expensive things if you lose one it hurts you alot its equivelant of 3-6 months of work down the drain. At any point people can wardec (if in highsec), or just blow up(if in low,null, or wormhole space) - in a sense this game is same concept.. Sure you can build high it will take a few days of watching but the larger you look the jucier you look to neighbors making you more of a target. Only way you will survive is threatening looking, deceiving, or by making them trust your on their side.<br /><br /><br />This might sound like I dont support your idea, in contrary I would enjoy protection because I currently do look juicy in game, its just that when did system lords ever do peace treaties with each other... They only did it so they weren&#039;t killed but those treaties only happened to Asgard if it were system lord vs system lord they would rather run, kill, enslave, or die. :( So lore wise it doesn&#039;t fit.

• Neimenljivi
  • Irregular
  • 146 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Jul 05 2012 7:32 pm

They discussed different treaties and who is allowed where, etc., in the series. So it would follow the series.<br /><br />It&#039;s not whether someone can handle being killed or not, it&#039;s that the majority of players are casual players who cannot and will not login every day. Giving them no ability to protect their stuff a few days per week is gonna drive all those away. Yes you might try once or twice, but eventually when you see that each time you can&#039;t login for a day or two you&#039;ll be completely destroyed - you will lose interest. <br /><br />Giving some protection won&#039;t benefit them at all - they won&#039;t gain anything extra they would otherwise gain, it only gives the ability to those of us who can&#039;t be online at all times to be able to enjoy RL and enjoy the game when we come back to it without being put to disadvantage by our lack of time. It won&#039;t give us any advantage, but it will ensure we are not at a disadvantage because we have less time.<br /><br />We don&#039;t want the game ruled by only those few who can be online 24/7, do we? Because if no protection ability is given - this is what will happen.<br /><br />~N

• Semper
  • Respected
  • 615 posts
  • Reputation 6
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
Jul 06 2012 12:01 am

They only discussed treaties when they had a common enemy or an SSL to make them behave, the rest of the time they were at war for planets, like feudal barons etc etc. <br /><br />You can&#039;t be online 24/7 that&#039;s true but I just don&#039;t see how the logical step for that is protection. That&#039;s what defence is for.

• Lorddougy
  • Irregular
  • 138 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • You should recognise the name in your attack logs
Jul 06 2012 12:27 am

I&#039;m sorry but its a war game guys, if you want protection, go into vacation mode or dont play a war game... whats the point in playing a war game if you cant be hit?!?! <br /><br />Its like ppl that play online shoot up games and cheat and active god mode... how is that fun if you dont risk anything? there is plenty of games out there like this that are single player similar to empire at war if you want to not risk any hard work...

• Neimenljivi
  • Irregular
  • 146 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Jul 06 2012 11:12 am

Erm this protection would, of course, have to be limited. Like 2 days per week. You&#039;re still as vulnerable as before the other 5 days a week, but it at least ensures that you aren&#039;t at an even bigger disadvantage compared to those few who can be online 24/7<br /><br />~N

• Semper
  • Respected
  • 615 posts
  • Reputation 6
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
Jul 06 2012 1:00 pm

Yeah, but I still don&#039;t personally see it as necessary. I don&#039;t like to play games 24/7 either and I certainly wont.. I certainly don&#039;t.. but that&#039;s just part of it really. It&#039;s all part of the politics too.

• Xxdexterxx
  • Enthusiast
  • 206 posts
  • Reputation 2
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • *Sigh* Dominating the Galaxy. Do not disturb. :P
Jul 07 2012 1:55 pm

[quote author=Semper link=topic=190.msg2374#msg2374 date=1341532869]<br />They only discussed treaties when they had a common enemy or an SSL to make them behave, the rest of the time they were at war for planets, like feudal barons etc etc. <br /><br />You can&#039;t be online 24/7 that&#039;s true but I just don&#039;t see how the logical step for that is protection. [color=green]That&#039;s what defence is for.[/color]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />*BING!* *BING!* *BING!* We have a winner! :D<br />

• Neimenljivi
  • Irregular
  • 146 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Jul 07 2012 2:43 pm

Say you can&#039;t be online for 2 days. Defense doesn&#039;t do you much good. Going on vac mode will be a huge disadvantage. Bing, bing, bing - the need for some sort of temporary protection, much like the one you get when you start the account.<br /><br />~N