• Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 1
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Feb 25 2015 1:58 am

So this is a 2 part post first the question and then the suggestion

So here's my question and I'm just gona get this outa the way now the scrubs who use this tactic will not like what I'm going to say

So anyway its already established in Stargate cannon that an Al`kesh bomber can not....allow me to repeat that CAN NOT damage a Ha`tak Mother Ship IF the mother ship has its shields up So why is it that 45 Mother Ships (All 100% with shields up) get taken down by 140 Bombers.......This should play out like shooting a Train with a BB gun....the Bombers being the BB gun ofc

instead in a Stargate Themed game...and I have to assume a stargate licensed game you can just DERP around with a bomber stack topkeking everything in your path

This in one word is retarded and should have been handled when the Death Gliders were balanced out so Bombers should to zero damage to a mother ship with its shields up....Now if the MS is damaged and having to regenerate its shields sure TOPKEK that thing with your bomber stack....but the way the game is playing right now is driving players away from the wallet warriors to the ignorant way the balances play out.....just not looking good for the future of this game

• Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Never back down, never surrender, no fear
Feb 25 2015 2:15 am

There are numerous issues with the game related to game balance. There are a few things you need to understand when addressing them.

1. Who says these ships have shields? Or what the strength of those shields are?

Click on the GUIDE and read the INTRODUCTION. This game takes place 1000 years before the Earth stargate was buried. In other words, thousands of years ago. Things may have been different back then. We have seen shields and weapons evolve over time.

2. Again referring to the GUIDE > INTRODUCTION, it explains the game mechanics will not perfectly align to the show. Why?

For example, if 100 motherships attack 5 ms, it is logically the side with 100 ms will take zero losses, right? At worst, maybe they lose 1 ship. In the game, the side with 100 ms will likely lose about 5 ships. That is not logical but it is necessary for game balance; otherwise, anyone with a large fleet can go around destroying everyone else with no loss. That is why I feel the flagship change to 1.5 million attack/defense is FAR too overpowered.

3. Shadowing is only one person. He handles all coding, all bug fixes, development, marketing, community management, etc for the game. Bottom line, there is only so much he can do.

4. Yes, wallet lording is a big problem in the game. In fact, it's the top issue in my opinion and that of others. I would love to see a balanced, subscription game where everyone pays ?$15/month to play and then everything is 100% even. The reality is the game would lose many "free to play" players which would be a problem.

If the free to play model is maintained, the offerings need to be more subtle. Race changes, personality changes, name changes, protection are all fine as-is, but the direct buying of large amounts of naq is a problem. A big problem. The entire point of the game is for players to amass fleets over time, often months, then those fleets been very meaningful. Losing ships should be painful in that it takes weeks to recover rather than "oh well, there went $40" type of thing which makes the game pointless.

I hunt the sheep of war...
  • Systemlordbaal
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 1
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 2:23 am

Actually cannon wise the Goa`uld had shields on the earliest of mother ships they had shields because they savaged the tech from others....stargate wiki if you don't believe me

• Cjamieson99
  • Respected
  • 640 posts
  • Reputation 203
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • LET'S GET THOSE TERRORISTS!
Feb 25 2015 2:26 am

The players of this game are, in a word, retarded. What you are suggesting is so much more complicated. And who will be the ones doing all of the explaining of it without a guide? me and Excellion! That's who.

Start by understanding how the game currently works. Then write a good guide for others to understand it. Then add to it and make it complicated.

I liked exy's post.

Kelac! #1 cheater in the game, but you'll never catch me!
  • Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 2:38 am

"Actually cannon wise the Goa`uld had shields on the earliest of mother ships they had shields because they savaged the tech from others....stargate wiki if you don't believe me"

I read the Wiki and it is not very clear. The game takes place 6,000 years ago...keep that in mind.

Also, I remember the episode where Samantha blew up Vorash's sun. Their ms was attacked by an Alkesh which was picking up Tanith. That 1v1 between a ms and Alkesh did not go well for the ms. The ms could not hit it and the Alkesh did a lot of damage. They had to launch a glider to eventually hit the Alkesh.

You are picking one inconsistency and there are dozens. A few examples:

A mothership should be able to hold hundreds of gliders but the current max is 30
An unlimited amount of jaffa can fit into 1 cargo ship
An unlimited amount of jaffa and gliders can instantly go through the gate
Gates can't be buried
There is no iris / shield
How is it a planet in 1-1 can instantly destroy infrastructure on a non-gated planet in 40-40? Or pillage supplies, or....

etc

• Systemlordbaal
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 1
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 3:16 am

And one thing your forgetting to mention because I just watched that episode is jack tells Teal'c to Raise the shields so that the Lone Al'kesh cant do anymore damage....to witch Teal'c goes placing his hands on the control ports for the Shields and Weapons (Shields are not responding).....but Weapons still remain online

and typical Jack O'Neill goes well at least we have that

you are very selective in the information you choose to acknowledge

the fact remains from the moment the Goa`uld launched the first Mothership regardless of the time line it had shields and it's been well stated that in cannon a shielded mother ship can literally sit there and laugh as multiple Al'`kesh attack it doing nothing as long as the shields remain up the attacks from a Bomber do nothing

With the exception of Anubis's Motherships all other MS had the same shield strength and that never changed through cannon.....the damage of the cannons and the speed were the only things that the Goa`uld upgraded.....so a change to how to bombers react when attacking shielded units isn't farfetched and actually stays true to cannon

• Dissenter
  • Irregular
  • 84 posts
  • Reputation 44
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 4:04 am

Ok then keep in mind, the al'kesh have cloaking capability. It's too big of a drain on power to keep shields running, unless there's a threat. The cloaked al'kesh could simply kamikaze the ms's. By my logic, 40 al'kesh should be able to cloak, and kamikaze into 40 motherships simultaneously, destroying all the ships. Let's be realistic here. There is a limit on the mechanics you can put into a game. For that matter, strategy already goes a long ways.

Aside from that, Excellion is right. The only mechanic anyone should be worried about is naqadah buying. Someone can click 'buy' a few times, and circumvent months of hard work. You cannot fight someone who is wealthy and willing to spend money.
Anyway, the damage is done. Just look at Yamamoto.

Even the most hardcore players are barely playing now, and most have left altogether. Unless the naq buying is fixed, the game is in trouble anyway. I'm not suggested naqadah buying be removed. I just think it needs to be far less significant, and limited.

• Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 4:04 am

I apologize as I did not mean to be selective. I merely stated my recollection from that episode. I trust your details are more complete and I accept them.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that all motherships had shields 6000 years ago? The only episode I recall from back then is when SG1 went back in time at the end of season 8. I don't recall any mothership attacks in that episode.

Also, please provide a source to confirm that the ms shield strength 6,000 years ago was the same as today.

Again, even if you can provide the above, it is one inconsistency among dozens which are designed to provide a measure of game balance. If it were up to me, I would adjust it so Bombers were ineffective against healthy motherships as you suggest and they could attack other gliders. There would be a bit of rock-paper-scissors to balance out fleets rather than these all bomber fleets.

• Systemlordbaal
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 1
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 5:02 am

@ Dissenter Al`kesh Bombers never had shields in any Stargate episode or movie with the exception of Continuum and since that was an alternate time line I don't credit that as cannon remember Death Gliders and Al`kesh don't have shields while Motherships do.....

@ Excellion it's not my responsibility in this matter to prove anything Cannon and the Wiki do that for me.....you have the link to the Stargate Wiki....you have the articles....read

• Dissenter
  • Irregular
  • 84 posts
  • Reputation 44
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 25 2015 5:46 am

Never said anything about al'kesh having shields. They had cloaks. They could become invisible. An invisible al'kesh could run into a mothership and it would never raise it's shield, is the point I was trying to make. A single al'kesh could fly into a flagship, and destroy it, without the flagship ever seeing it coming.
Suicide run. They travel between planets in a few minutes without hyperdrive. At that speed, an al'kesh would easily destroy a flagship without it's shield raised. The goa'uld, even in modern times, have inefficient power generation, and cannot sustain the shield over prolonged periods. Not even the ancients technology allowed them to run the shields continuously for very long. Maybe a single al'kesh should be able to do a suicide run and kill a flagship, if we're going for realistic.

• Systemlordbaal
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 1
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 26 2015 12:27 am

ok so a single Al'kesh rams a mothership.....considering that a MS is nearly 5 times larger and has shields I don't think that the Al'kesh will do anything

Remember when Bra'tac rams the Ori Mothership and it does nothing.....yeah same thing with an Al'kesh vs a MS when Ramming

• Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Feb 27 2015 7:21 am

Not a fair comparison. The Ori shields are much stronger than those of a mothership.

[1] 2 Next >>