• Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Never back down, never surrender, no fear
Dec 20 2014 2:45 am

A group of questions arose today about the new server. It's probably best to present them together.

1. Rules / Setup of new server.

a. Slaves. On Abydos, slaves generate naq. On Chulak, they don't (or perhaps they do now, I am unclear since the change a few days ago). What will be the function of slaves on Dakara?

b. Resources. They have just been introduced to the game and presently do not have a function. We know very little about them. How are they generated? What building / use do they have?

c. Other buildings. You mentioned the importance of Observatories and Slave Camps would change / increase. If we are going to start a new server and create new planets, this is critical information.

2. Server setup. I don't get it and neither does any player I have spoken to.

a. 10 planets??? Abydos is 20. Chulak is 300. Why not something in between like 40? With 10 planets, even relatively inactive players can build 2 per day during the 5 day protection period and exit protection with max planets. There is then no point at all for any player to take a planet from others until later in the game when warsats or other adv buildings are purchased. If a player just wants to farm, they can forego building SS and they can probably play the entire game untouched. It sounds like no combat, just farmville. Even worse, the only reason the galaxy would ever expand is solely for SS. If the server opens as 20 x 20 and has 100 players, 25% of the server's planets will be full, 75% empty, except for the SS.

b. 1x speed? The attack times are close to the same on both current servers. Dragnet still reduces attack times by 2 hours as does Navigator. The nice thing about 2x (or 3x) speed is it speeds up the boring part of the game...producing naq, trades, traveling on non-attack missions.

c. No depot. That would be fine if you had Home Planets working. I have pressed the button on both servers but I keep getting the "collect salvage" button after every attack, regardless of unit loss. That button is the worst thing that has ever been added to the game as it directly, and negatively, impacts combat. You can make a perfect attack and lose solely because of the "collect salvage" button. The irony of it is, even when you have not lost a single unit, that collection of 1 naq, 30 naq or whatever will directly cause you to lose a fight you should of otherwise won.

d. No protection. You added the protection system for a reason. New and low nw players will get completely blasted for status. I recognize the current system has issues but throwing it out the window is probably not the answer either.

3. Bugs. The game is plagued by bugs. Yes, they are addressed but there are so many constant changes, and each of them brings bugs. When that happens on a new server, the consequences will change the game. Presently a large fleet can be lost on the existing servers without any change being made to the System Lords board. On the new server, even a small bug will radically change the board.

4. Announcement. Why give less than 24 hours notice for a new server? Every quality game I have played provides a week to a month announcement. Players can use time to prepare, make alliances, etc.

I am concerned there are enough bugs and development issues already without adding a new server. I am also concerned the new server setup is poor all around. The lack of announcement means fewer players who otherwise would want to play wont be able to on Day 1 and may not wish to join late. Timing it at Christmas is not good as some players will have family commitments. The overall setup offers no excitement at all. The end result is the server will likely not generate any revenue whereas if you wait a few weeks, work out the issues and launch the server properly, you can add an exciting server with much higher revenue generation opportunities.

I hunt the sheep of war...
  • Cakes
  • Enthusiast
  • 258 posts
  • Reputation 15
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Dec 20 2014 2:51 am

Not everyone can be on all day m8 3X or even 2X server speed for the vast majority of people ruins the game.

• Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Never back down, never surrender, no fear
Dec 20 2014 3:01 am

"3X or even 2X server speed for the vast majority of people ruins the game" - Cakes

Do you even play this game? That statement is completely uninformed as if made by someone who has never played System Lords or stopped a long time ago. The slower server actually benefits the MORE active player. As a very active player, I am personally GREAT with the server settings.

You do realize 2x or 3x has little or no affect on combat at all, right? An attack that is 4 hours 5 minutes on a 1x server may be 4 hours 3 minutes on a 2x server.

If I could only be online twice a day, I would want a 3x server so I could make naq faster and could make trades / move fleet faster.

As an ACTIVE player, the slower game speed benefits me. Why? Let's say I need to send fleet from point A to B and it takes 1 hour. I can send the fleet, then check back in 1 hour and make the next move (attack / defend). A less active player would have ended their break / opportunity and wont be able to make their next move for hours. If the server was 3x, the move would have taken 20 minutes so they could have done more in their limited window of game time.

I hunt the sheep of war...
  • Portermoore
  • Irregular
  • 17 posts
  • Reputation 10
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Dec 20 2014 3:14 am

It would be intresting at 3x speed for everything in the game

LordSnow: My wolf will devour your soul
  • Cakes
  • Enthusiast
  • 258 posts
  • Reputation 15
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Dec 20 2014 3:25 am

Im sure when you are on all day you do great at every setting ;)

• Dissenter
  • Irregular
  • 84 posts
  • Reputation 44
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Dec 20 2014 3:57 am

Pretty much covered all/most of my concerns. +1

• Cjamieson99
  • Respected
  • 640 posts
  • Reputation 203
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • LET'S GET THOSE TERRORISTS!
Dec 20 2014 5:54 am

Cakes, your vision for a good game is completely unrealistic. You expect Shadowing to make no money, you expect everyone to have the same race/person, you expect everybody to be on for the exact same hours every day, and people to only be as good at it as you are.

Shut up and play the game. Stop whining and learn to play the game well. Try developing some skill in it. Maybe attack someone, even if it's only an inactive.

And for god sakes! You challenge me to a 1v1 like once a week and I always accept it. Let's go already... It's been months since I first accepted. The reason you don't reveal your in-game name must be because you're afraid to 1v1 me.

Kelac! #1 cheater in the game, but you'll never catch me!