• Dissenter
  • Irregular
  • 84 posts
  • Reputation 44
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Oct 31 2014 11:15 pm

I was thinking it would be nice if you're motherships could carry gliders to a planet you're attacking, but have an option whether or not to use them in an attack. I recall times in the show(s) where the Goa'uld(or Wraith) did not launch gliders(or darts) in high loss situations.

Obviously if you're attacking a lone mothership with your flagship you don't necessarily want to launch your gliders as they could not take a single shot from the opposing mothership. They couldn't even penetrate it's shields(at least in the show). Why throw them away? On the other hand, you do want to carry them for defensive purposes farther down the line. Why leave them at home and go back to pick them up when the motherships have glider bays. Seems silly to not be able to carry them and only use them when you want to, at least on offense. Defense? Fine. Let the gliders die first. If they were on a planet then maybe they were busy punishing slaves or something and not in the gliders bays. It would only make sense though, to be able to carry them and not necessarily launch them in an attack.

Anyway, it just seems like an option we should have if you ask me.

• Demogorgon
  • Enthusiast
  • 224 posts
  • Reputation 109
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Oct 31 2014 11:17 pm

The way it is now is to have to send your main attack and then follow that up moments latter with more forces. But I do think this is a good idea. I would like to see shadowing do something with this but I doubt it.

• Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1442 posts
  • Reputation 240
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Captain of the boat or captain of the Sea?
Nov 01 2014 8:29 am

if you don't want to use gliders when attacking then don't send them?
How would the option even work. The gliders are not included in your forces attack points if you choose not to attack with them? So if you lose you lost the mother ships and the gliders that were just paper weights? Going into detail like that with the battles is honestly pointless. Something like that would just need to be for a whole new game where each battles are more focused on.

What ever you can do or dream you can always begin it because boldness has genius, power and magic in it
  • Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Never back down, never surrender, no fear
Nov 02 2014 7:26 am

Actually, it could work as follows:

1. You add a checkbox similar in concept to Veiled. "Launch gliders on attack" and by default it would be checked. The difference is Veiled can only be checked at the time the attack is launched. This option would need to have a toggle ability which can be used up until the last moment.

2. If the defender switched to defensive stance, changed techs / race or built units, then the gliders could be used. Otherwise, they would not be used. They would, as you say, be paperweights.

3. The STRONG risk an attacker takes is if the mothership with gliders is destroyed, the gliders are lost. The only reasonable scenario would be a bomber + ms/glider combo where the bombers would cover the entire attack unless something changed (defender increased defense in some manner).

I get why the question was asked, but I also agree with Shadowing that this option, if added, would hardly ever be used and there is a strong chance for player dissatisfaction. At times, a player will uncheck the box and lose an attack they could have won otherwise. It's messy.

I would share the current glider setup is poor. Gliders used to be a critical part of the game where each ms needed to carry max # of gliders to maximize effectiveness. It was a great balance. Now, it's pretty crappy.

I do agree a change was needed as bombers were useless. I also understand why bombers were set up as strong on attack and weak on defense, but just how there are some aspects of the game that don't mirror life (such as 100 ms vs 3 ms and the attacker will still often lose 3 ms), the same applies here. There should be a strong incentive for max gliders to be used on motherships. That incentive comes at significantly increased attack compared to a ms for the same cost.

I hunt the sheep of war...
  • Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1442 posts
  • Reputation 240
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Captain of the boat or captain of the Sea?
Nov 02 2014 8:03 am

ya it did make gliders crappy on that aspect. But now the game has a attack unit, defensive unit and a in between unit. Only thing would be make bombers the defense unit and gliders the attack unit?

What ever you can do or dream you can always begin it because boldness has genius, power and magic in it