Oct 24 2014 12:40 am

Why have I been cursed :(

• Moneyseal
  • Irregular
  • 58 posts
  • Reputation 36
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!
Oct 24 2014 12:43 am

Sorry Excellion, I had no intention of causing any trouble or offending you. I am just saying that what you said was a little harsh and not constructive at all. And that your post could have been more helpful to shadowing instead of what seems like a personal attack on shadowing when he already has a lot on his plate.

I am not the best at explaining or wording things but as I tried my best in my post I will try my best to explain to you why I said what I did and why I thought that. Like I said I am not intending to be rude, but since you offered an explanation then so shall I. If I offend you then we can settle it in smash.

Instead of stating the problem and then giving specifics on what was wrong you spent time talking about how people hate the new interface and that people will go on vacation because of this. Your whole intro and evidence was pointing out that people are gonna quit and you better fix it or else. What I did or at least tried to was bring up the issue and discuss what is wrong. "Not say I hate this! or people are gonna leave." I would have also mentioned what could be done to fix it but to be honest this is at the point where I have no idea what can be done. The quotes you seemed to offer up as evidence were more like complaints then anything else. The post you made seemed like a attack/demand to shadowing backed with complaints. In other words that this update sucks and if you do not change it back to how it was before you will loose all your players. While it is important to bring up the significance of the issue,how it affects the player base and why it is significant, it seems all you focused on was that negativity.I wanted to hear what you thought was wrong and how it can be fixed. I still think that the interface can be fixed but I have no idea how. I think it is going about the wrong way, but the fact it was released at the current moment disrupts gameplay. However I must admit that I do like the idea of him temporarily changing things back and making a test server to make all this right. (which is the only thing constructive you offered during the whole post, right at the end)

Lord Money$eal
  • Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Never back down, never surrender, no fear
Oct 24 2014 9:32 am

I am not upset with you on any level Moneyseal. You spoke from the heart and I have no problem with it.

I have an incredible amount of respect for Shadowing. I was a database developer for many years. I have worked with many development teams and I recognize Shadowing has a lot of talent. He made the game from scratch (sure the battle engine and possibly other components were acquired, but still it is a very impressive feat overall). He made these forums from scratch. He clearly has a very broad range of knowledge including html, css, javascript, sql, mobile design and more. He seemingly works 7 days/week and has poured his heart and soul into this project.

The purpose of this thread was to ensure Shadowing was clearly aware of the severity of this issue. This isn't a player or two asking for a minor bug fix. The game was truly unplayable when this update rolled out. There are three primary points:

#1 - Please please please set up a specific day and time such as Tuesday at 8pm PST to roll out non-emergency changes. Presently, changes are completely unannounced. They roll out with a few minutes of notice and the gaming community does not know what is coming. A stable game should provide a maintenance window. That will help prepare the community and allow for more testing prior to changes being introduced.

#2 - A MINIMUM of 7 days notice should be provided prior to new changes being introduced. I have launched attacks and, mid-attack, had the attack values changed. I have went through all my planets, spent naq fixing the buildings, then later that day naq mines are put back into game. Plenty of other examples. A simple courtesy to the gaming community would be to provide notice. These aren't critically urgent changes where the game is completely broken. These are enhancements and game balance adjustments.

#3 - There is a test server. Why not provide the gaming community access to the test server so feedback can be offered BEFORE the update is forced onto the players? Changes would be rolled out MUCH smoother for players. I am sure many players would be happy to participate in testing. I know I would!

Forget this particular update. Generally speaking, the above costs NOTHING. The updates are already on the test server, right? Providing notice and a specific maintenance window is just a forum post. I know Shadowing is anxious to roll out changes, but it should not be done at the cost of player enjoyment. The server did not pause during the update. Attacks landed while players did not have access to the game to make adjustments. Forgive me, but that is unacceptable. The time Shadowing then must spend dealing with complaints, refunding naq, etc has to suck as well. Everyone would be better served by following the above steps.

With this noted, there are numerous serious issues with the UI changes made today. Many of the most serious issues have been addressed. We all appreciate Shadowing's commitment. There are still issues remaining. This is a GAME. It is how players CHOOSE to spend their free time. It should provide enjoyment, not frustration. There are already issues with players and their pc's, internet connection, viruses, browser cache, etc. When players overcome those issues and spend their precious free time here, they deserve some stability and warning. Call it a rant if you want, that's fine. But it is not disrespectful on any level.

Many people fake respect with words, but their actions are disrespectful. My favorite television show is House MD. The main character wears wrinkled shirts, messy hair, doesn't shave and is rude, but his ACTIONS show the highest respect for his patients and friends...MUCH higher than others who are respectful in words. My ACTIONS have been to be the most active player in the game, to start building the first fansite for the game, bring 3 other active players to the game, and help participate in the gaming community. I have also spent countless hours providing detailed bug reports and proactively shared tons of feedback, even when the results are negative to my gameplay. To summarize, I can be brutally honest or harsh, yet still maintain respect for others. Just something to consider.

Game on!

I hunt the sheep of war...
  • Kynell
  • Enthusiast
  • 240 posts
  • Reputation 127
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Oct 24 2014 9:38 am

I tried logging on and playing it but its so bad I really don't want to play, im going to keep trying a few more times to see if I can get used to it and put up with it its not looking likely this time.

the old interface was really cool and awesome, this one is really ugly and is just really annoying to play, sorry to have to say it after you spent a lot of time doing it but its just awful.

• Moneyseal
  • Irregular
  • 58 posts
  • Reputation 36
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!
Oct 24 2014 12:12 pm

I am glad you are not upset at all or have a problem with me. I also want to make sure that I never doubted your respect for shadowing or your devotion towards the game. In fact if you did not care about this game and the players involved in it you would have not taken the time to make this post or have concern about the current issue at hand. I had no intention of discrediting you. I just thought you could have gone about it differently, like I said before. Thanks for explaining to me your thoughts on respect and how you follow those ideals, it helps me understand you a bit better. I think that is a interesting point of view and way of going about things and I agree that honesty and respect are very important where ever you are. I hope all that I just said makes sense and that it came out right...

As for your new suggestion and how updates should be handled, I completely agree. That is a very good process that will help to eliminate game disruptions and make updates and bug fixes role out a lot smoother. I would like to see shadowing attempt that process in the future. *hint hint* I really would like to be able to test things before they happen so I can keep playing and be involved in helping improve the game. This way if we do as you suggested, I feel like the community can be involved a whole lot more. I also agree that shadowing could have handled such a big update better but I think he has already improved some issues and is working hard to fix the rest. I am really glad that shadowing and many players put so much commitment and effort into this game because it is FINALLY A STARGATE GAME WORTH PLAYING!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Money$eal
  • Joe12
  • Irregular
  • 38 posts
  • Reputation 4
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 25 2014 3:21 am

i like new interface if u dislike it it might be the size of your monitor so there should be a choice to go back to old but for those of use with real monitors we shouldn't have to suffer new interface is great

smeg head
  • Kayleigh
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 19
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 25 2014 7:07 am

Real monitor, eh? So this cardboard box I've been using with the hole in it ISN'T a real monitor? You solved my problem!

• Kayleigh
  • Irregular
  • 40 posts
  • Reputation 19
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 26 2014 12:46 am

Well, it's mucked up yet again. And this is beyond absurd. I am mad - and I want to know WHY it can't be left alone. Now I have to scroll up and down to see my 'dashboard'. Enough already. Seriously annoyed and ready to call it a day with this game.

What's the point of 'Notify me of replies' when it never notifies me of replies to this thread?

<< Previous 1 [2]