• Lorddougy
  • Irregular
  • 138 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • You should recognise the name in your attack logs
Mar 10 2014 8:21 pm

Ok so atm there is several people that are bored coz even though I get along with the Warlords, they have a monopoly on the power in the game. Additionally people have made too many alliances with each other especially the top level alliances. Which has meant no wars are being fought really.

Yes I am guilty of this as well.

My idea is that you have 8 alliances in the game which are headed by the System Lords. These System Lords are not players or active people in the sense so these alliances are "leaderless".

How you join?

Well you are automatically placed into an System Lord alliance when you join the game, you can choose an alliance but all the alliances are roughly balanced in Networth. So if one alliance is starting to get too powerful (too many members etc) then no-one can join that alliance till their power has evened out with the others if that happens.

You could switch System Lord alliance ingame but there will be a negative for betraying your god, (25% negative across the board for 1 week)

How alliances interact with each other?

Well they are never at "peace" with each other, they arent necessarily at war but they are never at peace.
What you could have is that everyone is neutral with skirmishes with each other but when an alliance steals too much status or does too much damage etc... (could have an ingame vote) then the "system lord" alliances go to war. Means production is cut by 25%, attack is boosted by 25%, negative 25% defense so encourage attacking the other system lord etc.. (can sort out the numbers later on) These stats only apply to attacking/defending against the system lord you are at war with. All other system lord stats vs is the same as normal.
War can last for 2 weeks and then it goes back to normal.

How does the alliance interact internally?

Same as our current set up, can reinforce allies etc...

- no bonuses on which system lord you follow
- you can still have friends in the same system lord even though it might take time
- no leaders so when a system lord says you are going to war, you are at war and cant negotiate a peace or treaty with the other system lord alliance quickly.

Yes this would be a big revamp in alliances, but I think it is a new direction and you could set up options for encouraging war on another system lord alliance etc...
Picking on the little guys well every alliance will have little guys so that would be fair.
You could have private challenges, when two players on opposing system lord alliances could war each other, whoever has lost or gained the most networth is the winner and brought pride/honour to his system lord god and be rewarded..

• Lordwayob
  • Irregular
  • 34 posts
  • Reputation 19
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • If you can't beat 'em barbecue 'em
Mar 10 2014 8:29 pm

Just seems too extreme. Automatic alliance is thematically accurate, considering the hereditary nature of Goa'uld who are allowed to take hosts- you are born into an alliance beneath a greater goa'uld, and either hep grow their power enough to have a huge chunk of it for yourself or backstab your way to the top.

But the rest... its forcing conflict. Which is no fun unless you have lots of power to start with, so in the end it only benefits the senior players anyway.

BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD
  • Lorddougy
  • Irregular
  • 138 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • You should recognise the name in your attack logs
Mar 10 2014 8:32 pm

Then use the status level to hinder big players attacking little ones.

At the end of the war if you killed more networth than lost, your "system lord" god might reward you with 25% of naq you lost.

It is a war game afterall and its a big galaxy so you might be able to get away without being attacked

• Armyskydiver
  • Irregular
  • 59 posts
  • Reputation 30
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Mar 11 2014 12:58 am

You are trying to completely change the gameplay. No go from me on this one.

• Whodare
  • Irregular
  • 4 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Mar 11 2014 12:14 pm

Having the Warlords basically run the game gives a great suspense.

Currently the Warlords are a Volcano.

They are dormant, resting beasts which could cause a lot of damage if they exploded.

• Aldinach
  • Irregular
  • 48 posts
  • Reputation 8
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Shel nok.
Mar 11 2014 3:13 pm

The OP in this makes things overly complicated, a lot of this stuff is already done, to greater or lesser degrees, but by CHOICE.

IE when a certain player or alliance seems to be getting out of line, generally an alliance and all of their respective allies will go to war with that faction and smack them down a peg or two.

In a lot of cases, it IS the Warlords. People complain that we have "too much" power (for the record; we're goa'uld, there's no such thing as 'too much'), but when they're being attacked nonstop by a much larger player, or much stronger alliance, we're the first ones they come to for help.

No, we don't always jump in when asked, when it would cause greater conflict in-game and/or conflicts with our own established diplomacy, BUT we do have a large presence in-game with policing people truly stepping over the line when it comes with dealing with newer players or needlessly picking on the same player or alliance for no real reason other than sheer aggression.

That's not to say that we don't attack players or alliances, but there is generally a fairly clear-cut motive behind it; either just a general status-hunt, or some kind of personal insult is involved.

As far as changing the make-up of the System Lords Council...I find that utterly ridiculous. The System Lords Council was created by the goa'uld as basically the highest level of prestige and power in the galaxy, and only the most powerful and feared goa'uld hold those places.

Changing what the System Lords Council is basically tears apart the fabric of the game and the universe's canon it is based in, which, quite frankly, has already taken some major hits just to balance game-play vs. too much power, such as abilities and existence of certain military units and ships, etc.

So...basically, I just don't think the ideas in the OP are good ones. They would negatively affect gameplay for most people, and involve a complete reworking of one of the most important facets of one of the game race's cultural hierarchies...bad idea.

Especially with the introduction of the other races into the game. There is more than enough work to be done incorporating other races' units, status, etc into the game without adding a pointless level of complexity to the parts that are already in play.

At some point, alliances may need to be reworked slightly, but that, I feel would be better served by increasing alliance member-limits and possibly adding the ability to declare an official game-enforced alliance with other same-race alliances, while limiting the ability for diplomacy with other-race alliances to a NAP, or something similar.

Ultimately, that's something that probably won't happen for quite a while, since there's a lot to be done with just getting the races into the game and running smoothly.

Mekta satak Oz!