• Xxdexterxx
  • Enthusiast
  • 206 posts
  • Reputation 2
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • *Sigh* Dominating the Galaxy. Do not disturb. :P
Feb 06 2014 10:27 pm

This one's off the top of my head just a little, but I think it makes sense to remove the post-count display on the forum. In the past, users have posted simply to increase their post count, contributing nothing except another useless post. As I look around, even today, there are posts that I am sure exist only to do exactly that.

This isn't an original idea of mine, I've borrowed the idea from another community that I'm a part of. They used to run vBulletin until their security issues last year forced them to switch to another software. When they made the switch, they decided to hide post counts from users, and I must admit that I was surprised when the quality of everyone's posts increased tenfold.

Criticism welcomed, but only of the constructive type. :)

• Adadad
  • Irregular
  • 58 posts
  • Reputation 25
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • yarg
Feb 13 2014 3:30 pm

why would anyone post useless stuff just to increase their post count?!

+1 wootwoot

• Unbiskant
  • Enthusiast
  • 330 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Feb 15 2014 6:09 pm

I think the displayed combination from post count and reputation works pretty good. Because someone who will just post something to see his counter going up, will get more negative feedback. So I think the system works pretty good.

But you are right that the post count number is not a must. I would not mind if it would vanish.

• Lesnmore
  • Irregular
  • 103 posts
  • Reputation 24
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Feb 17 2014 6:11 am

Post count seems useless. If anything, those with a high number of posts often come off as being "windbags"! Someone earlier stated correctly that if a person has lots of posts but nothing to say in most of them his reputation will be tarnished.

Actually that could be a positive reason for retaining post counts!