• Dgiffin
  • Irregular
  • 2 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Oct 19 2013 5:36 pm

I might be in error but I though that this was initially planned as a free to play game? At the moment when I click the 'Dominion' button I get an order pop up asking for $29.98 - is that correct?

David

• Unbiskant
  • Enthusiast
  • 330 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 5:38 pm

Yes the message is right. You need to pay it once. No monthly cost.

• Dgiffin
  • Irregular
  • 2 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 5:38 pm

No trial period? Shame.

• Selmais
  • Irregular
  • 2 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 6:34 pm

This is such a stupid business model. You have already turned away so many prospective players by charging a rediculous amount for a browser based game. I understand the need to make money, but just about all browser games now rely on In game purchases and advertising to make money.

If I was u, I would seriously think about shutting down this game right away and putting in an In game mall or something and get rid of the $30 few to play before u turn too many people away for good

• Unbiskant
  • Enthusiast
  • 330 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 6:48 pm

I now that 30 dollars sound much for a browser game (that you know not much about), but I must say, that I like the concept of paying once better than most other "pay to win" concepts.
There could be a trail period, so the player can look in the game some more before buying it. Maybe there will be such a thing in the future?

• Selmais
  • Irregular
  • 2 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 7:04 pm

The "pay to play" model was seen by companies as a bad idea. The lost a lot if players except die hard fans. I remember when planetarion went pay to play, the list tens of thousands of players (not kidding about the numbers either) and it took them several years after returning to free to play to win back even half of those who left.

The "play to win" model allows for greater playing numbers and allows people to spend money whenever they want, sometimes making multiple purchases exceeding that of the pay to play amount because they want to win at all costs. Play to win models make their
Money fro advertising as well because of the sheer fact of traffic on their servers they can afford to charge good money on advertising

• Batich351
  • Irregular
  • 14 posts
  • Reputation 9
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 7:07 pm

I've been waiting months to give this game a shot and they pull this crap. 30$ is a bit much. There should definitely be a trial period or something....Stargate's spirit might have to live on somewhere else...

The Visual Assassin ~Pakelika~
  • Ricky
  • Irregular
  • 4 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 19 2013 7:29 pm

A trial would be good, even if it was only for a few days. I was hoping to give this game a look but I'm not buying something without testing it first.

• Unbiskant
  • Enthusiast
  • 330 posts
  • Reputation 3
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 20 2013 3:21 pm

Good news, there will be a trail phase pretty soon. If I understood it correctly one limit in the trail phase will be that you can have a maximum off 3 planets. But you can still check out all the game mechanics.

So you can look into it a bit and decide if it is worth the money.

• Darkfires
  • Irregular
  • 3 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 20 2013 4:15 pm

I have to agree, was very disappointed to see it was $30, no way to even check out the game after waiting so long... having said that, look at battlestar galactica online, its all micropayments but free to play. I've spent over $100 on the game buying new ships etc after playing for a bit, but I definitely would never have paid anything just to check it out.

• Tryxel
  • Irregular
  • 41 posts
  • Reputation 8
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Alliance: The first ones
Oct 20 2013 4:37 pm

i am curious on where you guys live that says 30 bucks is to much. here in norway it cost about 70 bucks for a pizza, coca cola to be delivered on the door.

• Darkfires
  • Irregular
  • 3 posts
  • Reputation 0
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Oct 20 2013 8:47 pm

I didn't say it was too much, it's a bit much without some kind of evidence that the product may be worth that. Time will tell I guess.

[1] 2 Next >>