26horses Forum
  • Revenant
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 2
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Not even death can hold a Revenant from his revenge.
May 25 2018 11:29 pm

An idea I formed but couldn't find anything on it.

The idea revolves around the Replicators as a active NPC AI,
As such they could be used as an alternative to server resets while still maintaining it,
best yet it could be possible to set it up using preexisting sprites with saturation shift in colour or a overlay of a Rep block on infested planets and fleets.
Replicators would of course assault the higher level players to keep the upper ranked player revolving positions while lower level players will be ignored.

basic flow.
1- random NPC planet respawns as replicator world.
2- replicator world launches fleet at nearest viable players(( top 10 percent of ranked players )).
3- each victory increases range and number of fleets the world can launch at any time(( this gives the op players a obstacle and a risk of getting reset if they don't abandon the area or directly attack the Replicator world and destroy them )).

combined with a decay rate(( ie, if saved naq is not salvaged/gathered within a week your domain begins to loose units on the worlds. ))
this should make dead players wither away and keep the top ranked players a little more engaged.

In extreme cases when this soft server reset needs to be more extreme toggling the Replicators to allow them to convert worlds that they attacked to turn into Replicator worlds essentially leading to a viral spread and destruction of the most advanced worlds and players,
Repworlds should despawn after a random amount of time.

The basic advantage is a self sustaining server reset that allows noobs to grow unhindered by a reset and remove possible complaint of missing naq that was paid for disappearing in reset(if it doesn't rollover in reset).

• Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1440 posts
  • Reputation 240
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Captain of the boat or captain of the Sea?
May 25 2018 11:44 pm

Ya I plan to make a new version that resets every 30 days or so or with some sort of condition. It won't effect the current server. The current server will never reset and will be the only non ending server.

The replicator idea has been brought up before and I like the idea. Could be a sperate version just with the replicator condition.

Until Ancient Rings releases my hands are tied up.
So it's just on wait at the moment :)
System Lord's is going to become so much more then what it is now.
Players will be able to play these faster games while waiting for production or a fleet to arrive on this current more slower server.

What ever you can do or dream you can always begin it because boldness has genius, power and magic in it
  • Revenant
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 2
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
May 25 2018 11:52 pm

I like the idea of a never ending galaxy compared to one going through a hard reset,
but as such the op players seem stagnant so reps acting as soft reset option seemed both lore friendly and forces the largest players to keep fighting to survive no matter how big there fleets are with reps constantly whittling them down and requiring them to search for the reps planet of origin (( replicator attack don't tell source of attack which might increase player communication in game as well )).

• Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1440 posts
  • Reputation 240
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
May 26 2018 12:13 am

A never ending server just doesn't work with no market. After a period of time new players will always be in a position where there is no way to compete with players that's been in the Galaxy. So it's pretty bad game play.
Even with attacking AI.

No one will buy naqahdah in the market if an AI is killing thier military. Already tested it out. No one liked it. Everyone just complained about it. I don't blame them.

That's why I don't believe there is anyway to have a non ending server with out a market or with attacking AI.

I'm not gonna do an idea where a new player has no way to become the strongest player in the Galaxy.
That's why the market will remain on this server. I may place sone buying limits though. Like you can't buy during a war and limit how much can be bought at a given time.

What ever you can do or dream you can always begin it because boldness has genius, power and magic in it
  • Revenant
  • Irregular
  • 7 posts
  • Reputation 2
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
May 26 2018 1:25 am

didn't know there was once attacking Ai in game cool.

although to me a 30 day server would widen the devide between free and paid players greatly as paid player would be capable within minutes and free player would take most of the server time to build a decent force.
as well as reduce the requirement of allience and NAPs,
which to me turns the game into less of a galaxy and more of a slot machine if I'm honest,
and I understand and support the need to generate income for the game and studio (( maybe add in game advertising where if player watch a 30 second ad they get some naq so u can get some money from the free players as well I think everyone won't mind at all ))

also my description of the Reps where quite poor its more that they antagonise the high rank player than actually wipe out all there ships,
so players have a enemy to actively hunt down,
Reps would deal small amounts of damage and escalate there attacks if left alone,
so ignoring them would start to put a dent in ship numbers as they grow giving players a task.
but MOST important thing is the idea that the the NPC can be destroyed for a short period so the threat is not constant whittling unless a player actively ignores being attacked by them in which case they deserve to loose ships and worlds.
and this only effecting the most powerful with a lower limit so they only kick into effect after a percent of players pass the threshold would then begin spawning.
the basic variant the admin would have control over how many Rep worlds can spawn at any onetime and atune them to how powerful the player base is for balance.

I understand how buying naq and having a NPC attack you taking it away could be infuriating but some people seem stuck between the cost of war and not having objectives like defeat this,
but the idea is Reps being sparse and slowly increasing there strength so the NPC doesn't overwhelm players and become a cash sink,
combined with ignoring weaker players seems more balanced to me than resets every 30 days as hearing that has kind if put me off the game,
I really like the idea of games you live in like eve online and such.

I hope I'm worrying over nothing lol,
I think I'll ask around if others remember the AI days maybe I can find a way of balancing them like a player can only get attacked by 1 NPC per 6 hours.
but as the game goes now I'm quite happy just need some event ideas I'll post in another thread when I got time I think it might be interesting discussion.
I also have ideas on tactical game play mechanics but I'd like to see how other players think about it first.

• Shadowing
  • Devoted
  • 1440 posts
  • Reputation 240
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
May 26 2018 2:05 am

After Ancient Rings launches the reason keeping the market on this non resetting server has nothing to do with game income. The game will make enough money just having a premium feature and disable some game futures for non premium players. Already did the math. Game can do fine with out being able to buy naq one I get player base amount back up.

I had a non naq buying server in the past. It didn't solve anything. People attack each other even less cause losing units was even harder to recover back. In fact no one attacked at all. Was just a building game. Zero growth in player base as well. Players that started at the beginning of the server were always the largest players. So new players would always stay at the same player rank. Makes logical sense though. No matter what they will always never beable to compete with the players who gave been playing a long time.

Interesting enough Ive learned that a player who spend money become more deicated active players. So that's something to note.

That's why I believe a non market server has to reset.

As for player base amount right now. Really not a big issue. I can get the player base up pretty easy just start advertising again. Also fix the UI issues for mobile. I'm just using the money ATM for Ancient Rings. That time is coming to a end soon. Hopefully with in 2 to 3 months I'm hoping to start running advertising again for the first time in 3 years. Will determine how well the kick starter goes. Other wise I will wait till Ancient Rings launches past early access and will rely on cross promoting to bring players in Should be just effective and even cheaper.

$20 a month for 100 players is $24k a year. That more than enough. Can run good steady advertising on that and get System Lord's to a 1,000 players online all the time. Which is my goal. Probably put the entire game profit on advertising. Cause of Ancient Rings I won't require the income from System Lords. For anything other than its self. So when the time comes we are gonna see some massive community growth. That's why I've been telling everyone last 3 years I have a non fail plan In placed. Now we finally getting close to me beable to do it.

Hope all that explains what I'm trying to do.