26horses Forum
  • Moneyseal
  • Irregular
  • 58 posts
  • Reputation 36
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!
Dec 13 2014 1:17 am

Here is an interesting idea I would like to share with all of you guys. I am hoping you can give me some constructive criticism. I have already gotten some positive feedback about this idea outside the forum but I would like what the forum peoples think.

•Weapons grade naquada and refineries should be added. Raw naquada can be refined and turned into weapons grade with a refinery building. Refined naquada is more precious so therefore less refined naq comes out than the raw naquada you put in.
•Bring reasources back. You may seem skeptical but keep reading.
•Can purchase units at ss or planets with weapons grade naq or use reasources and raw naw to build the unit
•If we were to use ss, you can instantly purchase ships with weapons grade naq at ss that your alliance owns or you can purchase at other stations but the prices are higher due to taxes which benefits that alliance and makes it useful to have more stations than it already is
•Buying a ms with weapons grade naq is more expensive than building the unit with raw naw and resources, but does not take time to make
•Ships bought with weapons grade naq will be sent to you from nearest station or could just be sent directly to planet. Or could just take less time than building units.

This idea is quite a stretch but I find it makes space stations more useful and implements more strategy into the game. The reason this system makes sense is because in the show weapons grade naquada was used as a way to purchase or trade items, like a currency. Weapons grade naquada is also very valuable. Raw naquada was used to construct along with various materials. I am not sure about using space stations to purchase unit and the re-implementing of resources is also questionable, but give me some feedback guys.

Lord Money$eal
  • Dissenter
  • Irregular
  • 84 posts
  • Reputation 44
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Dec 13 2014 1:51 am

Well the plan is currently to work instant ship building out of the equation. I happen to agree with the idea that building a fleet last second to defend is kind of silly.

I do see potential for the 'weapons grade' naqidah idea though. Here's my random thoughts for the moment.

1. Could add it as an additional resources, necessary to create all ships, much like slaves.

2. Could make 'improved ships', that are more costly, but do more damage for the amount of net they use.

3. Could make an option to send an amount of weapons grade naqidah with any attack. It could improve attack damage, relevant to the amount of 'weapons grade' naqidah you send with the attack. I kind of like this idea because it means it not necessary, and you could add the refinery to advanced buildings.

• Moneyseal
  • Irregular
  • 58 posts
  • Reputation 36
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Dec 13 2014 9:02 pm

Well through this idea you do not have to get rid of instant ship building. Instant ship building is not fitting in how the game currently exists but if you made the proper adjustments I think it could work nicely. What I mean by that is:

By purchasing a unit via trading aka refined/weapons grade naquada
+you get it instantly from merchant because they sell at any space station
-purchasing is very costly as you have to use your hard earned refined naquada
-you can only purchase them at space stations
+they are cheaper at space stations your alliance owns
-more expensive at space stations not owned by your alliance

By building a unit you use standard naquada and reasources (or not reasources depending on how you want to do this update)
+not as costly as purchasing
-takes time to build the unit
+you do not have to wait for naquada to be turned into refined naquada
-your alliance does not benefit

I feel like this gives the player a decision to make and implements more strategy.

Also I thought of a couple more ideas and want to know what you guys think:
You can only buy units on stations that are owned by a merchant.
They are instantly built at that station or shipped from that station to your nearest planet for a higher price

Lord Money$eal
  • Cjamieson99
  • Respected
  • 640 posts
  • Reputation 203
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • LET'S GET THOSE TERRORISTS!
Dec 13 2014 9:16 pm

I think what Moneyseal is trying to say is: Things in the game should take time like in the show. Naquadah isn't used, it is turned into weapons grade naq and then traded or whatever.

What he fails to realize, as everyone else seems to, is that this is a game and cannot always be realistic. The more realistic it gets, the more it moves away from the kind of game that it is, and the reason I play it.

If you don't like this game, why do you play it? Go play Call of Duty if you want a first person shooter. Don't try to turn this into something it's not.

Shadowing did a great thing here. Who else is making strategy games like this?
---

While I agree it is annoying for people to build a fleet last second and that there would be more strategy required if that was not possible. I do not like the alternative, which is putting building time on ships. I want to sit down and play the game when I get home, I don't want to sit around waiting to play the game -- and that's something I love about this game, that you don't need to do that. Even at 3 minutes a ship, it would still take HOURS to build bombers for a large attack... and then it can take up to 9 hours in spacemines to actually attack it! And what about if you are getting attacked and you don't have a pre-built fleet? There will be literally nothing you can do unless your alliance mates are online -- again, screwing the little guy.

Studies have shown that the faster this game goes, the more addicting it becomes. A study done by 26horses.com concluded that for 7 out of 10 people it has the same effect as crack cocaine.

And why ruin a good thing?

#LegalizeCrack
#SealOfDisapproval
---
Edit***

I am aware that this idea is different from instant ship building. But I still think it's the same idea, and I disagree with both.

Kelac! #1 cheater in the game, but you'll never catch me!
  • Cjamieson99
  • Respected
  • 640 posts
  • Reputation 203
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • LET'S GET THOSE TERRORISTS!
Dec 13 2014 9:30 pm

I now understand that @Moneyseal is talking about some sort of market system where players trade with each other.

Shadowing needs to stop adding new things and making the game bigger. Ever heard of quality over quantity? He is just polishing the game now before the release, and then he will be moving onto his new game, Net of Corruption.

This sounds like a lot of programming for something that we are not sure will even work, or that we might not like, or that half will like and half will hate. At least the way it is now people are fine. No need to create more problems.

It's fun to talk about and a good idea. But no.

Kelac! #1 cheater in the game, but you'll never catch me!
  • Moneyseal
  • Irregular
  • 58 posts
  • Reputation 36
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
Dec 13 2014 9:41 pm

Yes Kelac, I am trying to say we produce naq and then turn it into weapons grade naq and spend that.

Sorry if you think it is complicated, I have a hard time explaining it but it is actually rather simple. I am not trying to make it necesarily more realistic but just add another element to the game that is cannon with the show. Yes ships take time to build and that is a good point. However if you remember in the show Valah highjacked the promethius and tried to sell it for weapons grade naquada. When trading weapons grade naquada you would not have to wait for it to be build. You would just have to fly it from where you bought it(in space stations in this case), to where ever you want it. And besides who would want to wait for a ship to be built all the time. This offers a seperate option but for a cost :)

I am not try to make this game realistic neccesarily just make it more diverse by taking concepts from the actual show and apply them to the game to offer different options. This concept really not that complicated but due to the fact I did not explain well it became over complicated. I tend to do that. Also I love this game, I hate Call of Duty, I am not one of those gamers. Like I said I am trying to make this more interesting and more strategic. Nothing wrong with that, just try and hear me out please.

And to answer your last point you made. This is a solution that I feel will satisfy both people who do not want to wait and people who believe that building a fleet at the last moment is stuipd or illogical. You can still build a fleet instantly with no wait, but for a cost. Or you could wait a little bit and save yourself some naquda. And to be honest I think I would use both of those options depending on the situation. If you are casual building troops I would make the unit myself. If I wanted to go out and attack I would purchase the unit.

Lord Money$eal