• Joe12
  • Irregular
  • 38 posts
  • Reputation 4
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Dec 06 2014 4:29 am

few reasons why its hard getting new people to play is coz its so easy to reset new people before they can figure out how to protect against it i good idea i think would be that a player can be reset as long as he still has a force = to 100k+ (1 ms) apophis wasnt destroyed for several seasons coz he had enough loyal jaffa to protect and hide him

smeg head
  • Demogorgon
  • Enthusiast
  • 224 posts
  • Reputation 109
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • I love 26horses Productions
Dec 06 2014 4:59 am

What new players need is 2X the starting naq, 100,000 slaves, military max start at 10,000, and increase in naq-slave/cycle for 5 days.

• Excellion
  • Enthusiast
  • 296 posts
  • Reputation 118
  • Honourable
    Dishonourable
  • Never back down, never surrender, no fear
Dec 06 2014 5:39 am

"What new players need is 2X the starting naq, 100,000 slaves, military max start at 10,000, and increase in naq-slave/cycle for 5 days."

Players already start with 15k naq and most players have the $20 donation so they receive a bonus 26k. It is PLENTY of naq. Furthermore, they begin with 1200 building credits. New players should be able to constantly build planets for the first 5 days if they do so smartly (i.e. add 100 naq mines to each planet).

New players have no need for slaves. They already start out with 1 ms and some jaffa. There is no need for any attacks the first 5 days and beyond that new players should mostly be either defending or attacking inactives.

During the 5 day protection period any new player can easily build enough slave camps to where their military max is past 10k.

I started myself on both Abydos and Chulak without any issue. I brought 3 friends to the game, each of which started on both Abydos and Chulak without any issue. None of them have purchased the $20 pack either.

Yes, we need new players but changing how they start is not part of the problem. The issues which need to be addressed are:

1. We need solid playing instructions. I have begun working on a new site which will provide detailed instructions on every part of the game. I am working on the site daily and expect it to be complete and launched no later than January. A few pages:

Technology
Achievements
Adv Tech

The site will be completed as follows:

a. Core factual information
b. Basic instructions
c. Beginning player strategies

At that point, the site can launch. Advanced player tactics and other strategy discussions can be added by any player at any time after launch.

2. Community Management is needed. Every good game has a community manager to run functions such as:

a. Jeopardy or other ingame activities
b. GNT or other forum activities
c. Monitor player feedback in forums and game
d. Promote the game at external sites

It is a catch-22 at the moment. The game cannot afford a Community Manager presently.

3. A solid balance between revenue and game balance needs to be established. The current setup is "pay to win". The top paying players (Gdozer, Olek, Zerotee and some others) are gone. The game evolved to a point where their advantage from paying was lessened, so they stopped playing. When you can see players like Kelac / Voldy listed in position 4 on both servers, it is clear player activity + skill is enough to succeed in game without requiring payment. The issue then is the game does not produce sufficient income to continue. How can this be solved? A new setup on the next server. A few recommendations for the next server:

a. When it launches, the game's mobile interface will be 100% solid so the game will be accessible to more players than ever before.

b. When it launches, the game's instructions will be available so new players will not feel lost. Additionally, a solid new player guide will be available so new players are not wiped quickly. Furthermore, even if they are wiped, they can quickly bounce back.

c. Since naq and building credits wont be sold on the new server, it wont be pay-to-win; however, solid income needs to still be generated. A few ideas:

- The server could have a monthly subscription for ?$15 where each month paid provides subscribers subtle advantages such as 5 adv tech points per paid month, an extra fleet slot, an extra flag ship slot, 10% speed increase, etc. These advantages are subtle and not overwhelming like buying 250k naq.

- The server should offer an "invite a friend" feature whereby if any existing player invites a new player who pays, then the player who invited them gets a free month. This will allow free players a means to gain all the benefits of paying players. Furthermore, if a player invites another player who does not pay but is active, then after ?60 days of active gaming, the player who invited them gets a free month as well

Many other ideas here. This game is really fantastic for a certain group of players...students, stay-at-home parents, part-time workers and full-time workers who have internet access at work or at least access to a smartphone / tablet. We should focus on the game's strengths without needing to make significant changes. It's already pretty damn awesome.

I hunt the sheep of war...